Monday, October 8, 2007

"Missy...You Likey, You Likey...You Buy"


Oh Me Likey…Me Likey….Me BUY!!!! You better believe that today was the day of finding better deals than you could ever dream of! Nordstrom’s half yearly has nothin’ on China! I LOVE THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA!!!
So Gary and I woke up this morning ready for our first experience in an even more foreign land…China! We could hardly wait. We have been working so stinking hard every second of every day that it was decided we needed to see about some of our businees ventures in China...and we ran into a few other things as well!
We were anxiously awaiting the phone call of our new Ca. girls that we met out here at the show. They were going to show us around etc. While waiting I made Gary look for his brand new MTR (public transportation) card that I just bought him that he accidentally misplaced. He never found it – and was irritated that I didn’t before mention it was 150 HK dollars…not USD. I figure I’ll teach that kid the value of money any way that I can. I’m sure Steve would only be too thrilled if any of the lessons actually sink in.
Well our girlfriends never called (they had a great excuses later) - and so Gary and I ventured out on our own. We got on the train to take us to the border. From the first moment we were busting up as I tried to hog my whole bench to myself and had an elderly China man reprimand me as he told me to move my legs. But I got him back as I tried to learn the words to my play list “Songs with Lyrics” that I made on my ipod. Did you know you can import the lyrics to any of your music? A great find, I will have to admit. That is THE only way I can ever learn the words to any song. On that play list I have the best of some Will.I.Am, some Sean Kingston, some Timberland, and then a few sweet ones that I can learn and sing to my little baby.
We stepped off the train and made our way to cross the border. After getting in the wrong line a few times, we found our way. We were immediately greeted by the sweetest and most naïve looking girl. We thought she was just part of the welcoming committee and wanted to make sure we had a great time shopping. Then as we proceeded to follow her to her little shop we realized we were the naïve ones. I made sure to whisper to Gary that he needed to let me make final decisions as I didn’t want to leave her shop feeling like the biggest suckers to enter China.
Then she proceeded to pull out lots and lots of brochures asking what we’d like to see in the handbag department. Now I know nothing about handbags…but Gary on the other hand is an expert. Because I have no love affair with hand bags, I was anxious to wheel and deal with the sellers. There was no risk for me because if we ended up walking away I could care less. A friend had advised me to negotiate 70% less than their offering price for any item. Well… let’s just say I took 70% to a whole new level. Oh the fun we had!!! And the thing is, after you get away with practically free stuff – the Chinese are still so incredibly nice and helpful!
Gary and I ended up getting in a routine where we played very well off each other. At first Gary felt embarrassed at my low ball askings…till he saw that they were sooo willing to accommodate me. They have warehouses upon warehouses filled with stuff just waiting to be bought. So I figured why not sell it to me?! I helped them to see my ways. And it was so fun because you can in a way be logical with them. You don’t leave feeling bad - you leave feeling like a successful business woman. Not to mention that according to Gary – these were some great looking imitations! As the Chinese called them, “AA Quality!” Only the best for the Americans!
One gal took us back to her warehouse. Back in the deep of the ghetto we made our way into the gold mine. This is where Gary laid his eyes upon the leather LV suitcase and I found a Bally bag that was pretty cute, oh and Gary saw another Gucci bag that was screaming out for him. Don’t worry that we walked away with all 3 items for a measly 660 HK dollars. That’s like fewer than 85 US dollars! That my friends…is freaking amazing! I’ll have to admit – that one took some time. But that was some time so very well spent!
You guys…I’m good….I’m very good at this. Again – I will mention I’m not a bag lady – but if you gals are out there, and you’re loyal enough to actually read this far into my blog then I have a special offer for you. If you know what you want I can see if I can find it for you out here. I’m for sure going to China again and would love to have a mission to find all ‘yall your best imitation bags yet. You just let me know – and I’ll see if I can fill your order! I seriously don’t know why people don’t just fly over here to get all their Christmas shopping done. It’s UNREAL!!!