Tuesday, July 31, 2007

American Idols?...or Rejects?







So, I mean you figure a girls gotta have some fun in her life right? You only live once... gotta stop and smell the roses... live like you'll die tomorrow...make a fool of yourself by auditioning for American Idol???
Well I did just that. I've been meaning to check this one off the list for quite some time. I know that most might think that music/singing is not my strong point. How sad that I would even know of that truth which should be hidden from me and only gossiped of behind my back. After all, I grew up with my mom telling me I had a beautiful voice and my singing was music to her ears. But somewhere along the way my singing career was demolished due to the reality I slowly came to accept. I figured it can't just be a coincidence that every time I sing in church I have at least 3 rows giggling and turning their heads, or that on my mission- as I sang in the choir - they asked me (and ONLY me) to please lip sync.
But my mom also taught me to not really care what other people think. So what do I care? - The truth is I would love to be on American Idol and I have envisioned myself belting out a certain song since season 1. For the past 2 years I almost tried out, but didn't quite make it there. Not this year!!!
With Gary Samuelian back in town you better believe that dreams are going to get realized. So Lindsey (and baby), Gary, Skylar, and I made our way to San Diego to become discovered. We showed up early Monday morning (6am to be exact!!) and got our wrist bands. Don't worry that the 5 billion other people that were there had been there since Thursday night. ( Are you kidding me? Thank heavens the world is full of suckers that follow the rules) The line was ridiculously long. So we stood to the side and I did an occasional warm up and followed Gary on some harmonies and then we made our way effortlessly to the front of the line.
We came prepared for a long day in the sun so we found the most comfortable seats (wheelchair seating of course) and got comfy. I took a little rest as the stadium sang their hearts out for all the pre-recorded stuff. Then people started going upto audition, and Gary and I went to warm up. Now by this time I had let it sink in that I'm basically doing this audition (against my mothers wishes) just to say I did it, not because I think I'm getting on. And it doens't help me with the serious factor when Gary is telling me to kick at this part and sit on the judges desk at that part. So I decided if all else fails to put on a good show for Gary and Linds.
Well let's just say that I surely did that! I sang with all the pizazz a broadway wannabe could muster and performed my heart out. I gave them a rendition of Chorus Lines' "T and A" they'll never forget! Lindsey said that from the bleachers all she could see were my arms and legs flailing and everyone looking my way once I started singing. And then once I finished (umm...don't worry that the judge cut me off before I was finished and I told him he was missing the best part!) everyone from all nearby rows gave me their enthusiastic applause.
I have to say it was a nice thing to experience rejection with Gary by my side. In my opinion those dang judges should have followed some peer pressure and put us past the second round! That crowd was loving us from 6am on. Ohh but don't you worry....we've always got next year baby!